Monday, December 7, 2009

The Virtues That Aren't

In some sort of continuation...

Needing -or atleast wanting- to be around people who 'match up to my standards'? It's true. I call them people with whom I share a certain wavelength, have the same intellectual frequency, but what the heck, call 'em what you will.

I just don't see why I should subject myself to people that I suspect I will develop contempt or pity for beyond a certain level of interaction. They don't deserve either simply because they happen to think and function differently. They probably think I'm too logical and scientific for my own good. Yes, I've been told that. *Logical and scientific? Amusement to the rescue!* Hell, I don't deserve to be stuck with mediocrity simply because that's how most people are!

This is not a claim to superiority. Anything but. There are plenty in the world who are more intelligent, more competent than I and I can live with that. But just like them, I would like to surround myself with people at the roughly same level of thought and reason, if not higher. I want a certain degree of competence, I want a certain degree of intelligence, I want a certain degree of sense. Sue me.

This is not to say that people I don't see as freq-mates are inferior in any way, they're just not like me. Just as they would choose not to associate with me beyond a point, I choose not to associate with them beyond a point. I bore them, they bore me.

Being the polar opposite of judgemental is a virtue. There is no antonym for the word because there's too much ambiguity around what the term judgemental itself should mean. Are we discussing (and passing judgement on :P) someone who passed judgement -do bear in mind that judgement can be positive or negative- on another's conduct or someone who passed a negative judgement? The former would be the literal meaning, but ho!

Again, expecting something specific is anti-virtue. Virtue? To embrace all that comes your way, simply because it's there. Are you fucking kidding me?

General acceptance is one thing - this is also how people are. Individual acceptance another - this is what XYZ is like and I am open to being with XYZ/putting up with XYZ . That sounds like tolerance, which in turn sounds derogatory - none of this is meant to be. But wholehearted acceptance that reads "XYZ is someone I admire/look up to, genuinely like and want to be with!" is another ball game altogether. 

Why must we force ourselves into believing we are all the same?

Why can't we be honest about this?

6 comments:

Goddess of Nonsense said...

Aaah believe me I know what you mean
When you're in school, it's so easy right?
You already have a fixed set of friends and you don't tend to look beyond...
But when you come to college and you interact with so many people....
it makes you wonder- How can people actually be like this?!
It's so hard to find people you really connect with

Shweta said...

Haha, its so rare to find someone who gets my point. Yay to you, lady!
In school it was more about having friends we liked na, not analysing them. Now that we do analyse.. oh joy!

Parinita said...

Aaaah I was so anti-social the first 3 terms in BMM because of this. Then I thought screw it, I'll tolerate the people I'm around, hang out with the very few people I like and then not stay in touch with most people beyond college. School was seriously so much easier.

Shweta said...

Only way that makes sense, nahi? Even with all this drama though, I prefer college. Heck, maybe doses of drama contribute to that. Tend to have a helluva time watching people out here! ;D

Wait, 3 terms? Was it my appearance on the scene that changed things for you or is this your second BMM degree? :P

lyfbrat said...

finally

Shweta said...

Haha. I hear you.
:)

Post a Comment